Wednesday 21 September 2016

The day I discarded the dairy products

The day i found out about the sinister lump in my left breast, the first thing that came to my mind was my diet. I went back home, opened the fridge and threw the fresh milk into the sink.

I spent hours and days staring at my laptop looking for information. Indeed my interests were directed to food and side effects of chemotherapy. I went through blogs after blogs of cancer patients documenting their experiences with chemotherapy to get an exact idea what to expect. In addition, I also look at various publications on cancer protocols, survival patterns etc, all in greater detail. Such effort has given me confidence on the impending cancer treatment and of course, preparing questions for my oncologist!

Foods I stopped eating:
  • Milk, butter, yogurt, coffee & cocoa
  • Soya sauce, fermented soya beans and all other soya-related or seafood sauces and condiments 
  • Foods containing phytoestrogens such as Rooibos tea (apparently, some compounds isolated from the tea have demonstrated significant estrogenic activity!)
  • chicken, pork, beef, seafood and all other animal or processed food
  • white sugar is totally out as usual

My new diet:
  • Fish (selected only), free-range eggs, multicolor vegetables and fruits
  • Wheat grains, nuts and beans (occasional)
  • Brown rice, quinoa, millet or rolled oats (occasional)
  • Molasses and honey as sweetener (sparingly)
  • Himalayan salt or sea salts (sparingly)
  • Cooking herbs and spices (as needed)

Functional foods I consume during chemotherapy:

1. Cactus extract (Millenium drink by E. Excel) - daily
2. Fresh beetroot smoothie, alternate with Biotta Breuss organic beetroot or vegetable drink -daily
3. AO II water (Elken) - ten drops in a glass of water - daily
4. Freshly brewed "horse grass" or Napier grass tea - Day 1- Day 7
5. Fresh coconut water (mostly the yellow type) - Day 1- Day 7, and occasional thereafter
6. Red barley drink - occasionally
7. Sour sop smoothie - occasionally
8. Organic pomegranate juice from Biotta - occasional
9. Bezoar traditional medicine - first 3 days of injection, started from Cycle 2 onwards

I would like to stress that these functional foods were included in my diet based on my sister's experiences and how such preparations have helped her coped with chemotherapy. There are no scientific evidences that support the use of such products in chemotherapy. As a patient, I gladly take all these foods with gratefulness.

Generally I try to source out organic foods as much as possible. When dealing with non-organic food produce, I treat them with ozone (O3) food purifier/washer.

I will update some of the reliable data on dairy products and estrogenic foods on breast cancer shortly.
I will review the ethnopharmacology and /or scientific (if any) properties of these functional foods after that.



No comments: